When I was 19 years old, I ventured into the jungles of Central America to excavate a Mayan Site. It was a Classic, Late-Classic Site located at Chan Chich outside of Gallon Jug. It was when I fell in love with archaeology and field work (one of the few things I miss from my times in academia). It was also when I knew that I did not want to work in the jungles of Central America. Have you seen the size of their spiders? I mean, seriously? They’re huge! Also, they have one of the most poisonous snakes in the world, a Fer-de-Lance. Our site was over run with them and I killed at least two with my machete (yes – I own a machete and I know how to use it – properly). Recently, I uncovered a couple of pictures from my first field work. I have decided to post them, even though they’re incredibly unflattering (terrible clothes, no makeup, covered in sweat and grime). Still, they remind me of good times!
- Ancient History Ancient Rome Anthropology Apple Archaeology Art History Classical Archaeology Classics Education Educational Resources Educational Technology Egyptology Google Greece Higher Education History Lesson Plan Looting Museums Nautical Archaeology New World Archaeology Pedagogy Physical Anthropology Podcast Professional Development Public Education Teachers Technology Uncategorized United States History
Top Posts & Pages
- How the Stair Master Made me Socially Awkward - or was it Facebook?
- Redefining the Writing Process
- Digital Portfolios & College Admissions
- Why 1950s America was *Not* Magical!!
- Women Warriors - A History of Real Women in Combat
- Macedonia Continues Plans to Erect Alexander Statue In Spite of Protests from Greece
- The Best Online & Interactive Museum Exhibits
- Using Evernote for Research
- My Resume and Portfolio
- Google Drive: A Better Method for Giving Student Feedback
- RT @CoolestColleges: University of Miami http://t.co/XBmvDSydmR 13 hours ago
- Should Schools Teach Social Media Skills? | MindShift blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013… via @MindShiftKQED #edtech #edchat 16 hours ago
- RT @SAISnews: Read SAIS' list of top blogs from network schools: tinyurl.com/n6sdbkf @TheFirstAcademy @TeacherJenCarey @DarlingtonTiger … 17 hours ago
- Google News for finding primary sources. Sweet! wp.me/p3xCJ-4Dt #history #edtech 17 hours ago