When I was 19 years old, I ventured into the jungles of Central America to excavate a Mayan Site. It was a Classic, Late-Classic Site located at Chan Chich outside of Gallon Jug. It was when I fell in love with archaeology and field work (one of the few things I miss from my times in academia). It was also when I knew that I did not want to work in the jungles of Central America. Have you seen the size of their spiders? I mean, seriously? They’re huge! Also, they have one of the most poisonous snakes in the world, a Fer-de-Lance. Our site was over run with them and I killed at least two with my machete (yes – I own a machete and I know how to use it – properly). Recently, I uncovered a couple of pictures from my first field work. I have decided to post them, even though they’re incredibly unflattering (terrible clothes, no makeup, covered in sweat and grime). Still, they remind me of good times!
- Ancient History Ancient Rome Anthropology Apple Archaeology Art History Classical Archaeology Classics Education Educational Resources Educational Technology Egyptology Google Higher Education History Lesson Plan Looting Museums Nautical Archaeology New World Archaeology Pedagogy Physical Anthropology Podcast Professional Development Public Education Social Media Teachers Technology Uncategorized United States History
Top Posts & Pages
- Why 1950s America was *Not* Magical!!
- Women Warriors - A History of Real Women in Combat
- Eight Little Known Facts About the Civil War
- Was Abraham Lincoln an Atheist?
- 5 Tips for Classroom Management with Mobile Devices
- Macedonia Continues Plans to Erect Alexander Statue In Spite of Protests from Greece
- 2 Great Visual Lists of iPad Apps for Students & Teachers
- "Learning is an Epic Win" - Jane McGonigal
- Protecting Student Data & Privacy Online - TrustE, COPPA Compliant
- Unearthing the Hidden Tunnels of WWI
- Our Favorite Digital Citizenship Bloggers to Follow in 2014 | Common Sense Media commonsensemedia.org/educators/blog… #edtech #digcit 1 day ago
- Protecting Student Data & Privacy Online - TrustE, COPPA Compliant: wp.me/p1sK0W-Yl #edtech #edchat 1 day ago
- Why The Digital Humanities Matter edudemic.com/digital-humani… via @edudemic #edtech #edchat #humanities 1 day ago
- @janercooper @lookforsun week... ends...? What is this of which you speak? 1 day ago