When I was 19 years old, I ventured into the jungles of Central America to excavate a Mayan Site. It was a Classic, Late-Classic Site located at Chan Chich outside of Gallon Jug. It was when I fell in love with archaeology and field work (one of the few things I miss from my times in academia). It was also when I knew that I did not want to work in the jungles of Central America. Have you seen the size of their spiders? I mean, seriously? They’re huge! Also, they have one of the most poisonous snakes in the world, a Fer-de-Lance. Our site was over run with them and I killed at least two with my machete (yes – I own a machete and I know how to use it – properly). Recently, I uncovered a couple of pictures from my first field work. I have decided to post them, even though they’re incredibly unflattering (terrible clothes, no makeup, covered in sweat and grime). Still, they remind me of good times!
- Ancient History Ancient Rome Anthropology Apple Archaeology Art History Classical Archaeology Classics Education Educational Resources Educational Technology Egyptology Google Higher Education History Lesson Plan Looting Museums Nautical Archaeology New World Archaeology Pedagogy Physical Anthropology Podcast Professional Development Public Education Social Media Teachers Technology Uncategorized United States History
Top Posts & Pages
- Google Drive & the Paperless Research Essay!
- The Best Online & Interactive Museum Exhibits
- Was Abraham Lincoln an Atheist?
- Why 1950s America was *Not* Magical!!
- Women Warriors - A History of Real Women in Combat
- Eight Little Known Facts About the Civil War
- 2 Great Visual Lists of iPad Apps for Students & Teachers
- 5 Tips for Classroom Management with Mobile Devices
- Unearthing the Hidden Tunnels of WWI
- Re-design your school technology around the Cloud
- RT @MrBlendy: Happy #EarthDay2014 from my students' weather balloon photo shoot! @catlingabel http://t.co/XqPJcrG01T 4 hours ago
- RT @middleweb: Terms of service at websites used by teachers & students DO matter, says @teacherjencarey plpnetwork.com/2014/04/22/ter… @amle @naes… 7 hours ago
- @Flynner13 Thanks for sharing Nadia! I hope you will share your thoughts on my experience & suggestions to improve! 7 hours ago
- @gregkulowiec Does it involve T-Rex's? 7 hours ago
- RT @johncroftnorton: Terms of service at popular websites used by teachers & students DO matter, says @teacherjencarey http://t.co/thOgQHof… 8 hours ago