As all teachers know, finals week can be exhilarating while at the same time exhausting and trying. Students are stressed yet excited and ready for break. We’re all pushed for deadlines – writing exams and grading them. Plus, I think my family is expecting gifts or something…
So, here’s a list of things I’m doing to stay sane this week
- I’m taking an hour every day for me – I don’t answer the phone and I’m not checking email. I’m watching TV, leveling my WoW character, or just staring at the wall.
- I’m hitting the gym to work off my anxiety and stress.
- I’m eating healthy (at least 2 meals a day, 1 might be garbage). I’m trying to eat the requisite servings of vegetables and fruit every day.
- I’m indulging – I bought some Christmas Chocolate (some small chocolate bells) and I’m allowing myself one soda (not diet) a day. I enjoy it. I deserve it.
- I’m managing my time – or at least trying to do so. I won’t be writing all my exams at one sitting and I won’t expect myself to grade them the same way.
- I’m taking a few moments of every day to just enjoy the season – my colleagues, my friends, and my family.
So, what are you doing to survive the second most stressful time of year for a teacher?