Smithsonian Magazine Highlights the top 8 little known, obscure, and sometimes just odd facts regarding the American Civil War. The odd facts include:
- The brothers Chang and Eng Bunker (the famed “Siamese Twins”) were drafted in the war.
- “Rectal Acorns” were used to smuggle messages by spies and couriers.
- General Lee had a pet chicken that accompanied him and lived at his home.
- Southern cultural standards had odd and strenuous requirements on women in terms of ‘mourning requirements’ – men were expected to be slightly sad briefly and then move on.
- After the Battle of Shiloh, several soldiers reported glowing and iridescent wounds.
- Confederate President Jefferson Davis shared his name with a Union General which led to some amusing (and deadly) guffaws on both sides!
- The famous Southern General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson was a severe hypochondriac.
- President Abraham Lincoln carried with him a $5 confederate bill in his wallet.
To learn more about these obscure events, see the article in the Smithsonian.